What happens when Invisalign is not an option?


Tags: , ,

Author photo

Orthodontic Dental Therapy
Dip.OHT (Melb)

Invisalign not an optionOrthodontics is a highly personalised field of dentistry, with specialist orthodontists effectively being the architects of your new smile.

Invisalign can cater for about 90 per cent of people wishing to have their teeth straightened, but the remaining 10 per cent of more complex cases will need another solution. If your particular circumstances rule out Invisalign treatment, our specialist orthodontists have the experience and expertise to advise you on the appropriate alternatives.

These alternatives include metal, clear or ceramic, or lingual braces. Some people, including adults as well as teenagers, may initially feel embarrassed to have braces but at Smile Solutions we find that our patients adapt very quickly and soon forget their braces are even there. Let’s take a look at each of the available options and how they might help in your pursuit of an ideal smile.

Metal and clear braces, often known as conventional braces, are fixed to the outer surface of the teeth. The appliances themselves include brackets and arch wires. The position of the brackets, placed by the orthodontist and working in combination with the arch wire the orthodontist chooses to use, will ultimately determine how your teeth move. Treatment time may vary according to the complexity of your particular case but is usually 18 to 24 months. During this phase, patients may also use elastics to help correct their bite further. Diligent wear of your elastics may lessen the length of time for which you need to wear your appliance. Both clear and metal braces will effectively correct tooth position. Neither system is better than the other.

Lingual braces are positioned on the palate surfaces of teeth, so no one will even know you are wearing braces, unless you tell them! These braces, as well as the arch wires, are individually customised and made to fit your teeth. In some cases, treatment time with lingual braces may be extended by about 4 to 6 months.

With either conventional or lingual braces you will need to see your orthodontist every 6 to 8 weeks. A high level of oral hygiene is important throughout treatment. One of our specialist orthodontists, working in conjunction with one of our hygienists, will assess and supervise your oral hygiene throughout your treatment, ensuring that your new smile not only looks how you wanted it to but is also a healthy one!



This entry was posted on by .

*The contents of this blog post are of a general nature only and may not apply to your specific circumstances. As every person is different we always recommend that you visit a qualified dental practitioner to obtain tailored dental advice to suit your own specific needs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *