With a staggering 90% of the world’s population estimated to suffer from oral disease in their lifetime, the importance of good oral hygiene is obvious.
The three main oral diseases are tooth decay, gum disease and oral cancer.
The theme for WOHD 2016 is ‘It all starts here. Healthy mouth, Healthy body’. WOHD16 aims to encourage everyone to recognise the impact their oral health has on overall physical health and wellbeing. WOHD is an initiative of FDI World Dental Federation and aims to draw awareness to oral health, as well as the impact of oral diseases on general health and well being.
In light of World Oral Health Day, prioritise your oral health by:
- Brushing your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste twice a day
- Floss at least once a day
- Follow a balanced diet, and limit sugary foods and drinks
- Chew sugar free gum after meals
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid smoking
- Wear a mouth guard for sport
- See your dentist for a check-up and professional clean regularly