Am I too old to have orthodontic treatment?

Author photo

Smile Solutions

Dentist Melbourne
Melbourne's Home of Dentistry

“Am I too old to have orthodontic treatment?” is a question commonly asked by adults considering treatment. The answer is, of course, no. As long as you are determined (and still have teeth), it is never too late to have a great smile. Over recent years we have all become much more aware of our teeth Read more...

What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of conventional braces, lingual braces, ceramic braces and Invisalign, and which are the more cost effective?

Author photo

Dr David Austin

Specialist Orthodontist
Orthodontic Care
BDSc (Melb), MDS Orth (Hong Kong), MOrth RCSEdin

At Smile Solutions we offer world-class orthodontic treatment under the care of our team of specialist orthodontists. We offer a great range of different orthodontic treatment options, so that each patient can find the ideal solution for creating their ideal smile. Conventional braces is the term for an orthodontic appliance that is fixed to the Read more...

What is the cost of braces?

Author photo

Dr Martin Poon

Specialist Orthodontist
Orthodontic Care
BDSc (Melb), Cert Orth MS (Uni of Penn)

So you are ready to invest in your smile and ready to have your teeth straightened. But how much do braces actually cost? You start Googling, talk to friends who have been through braces and discuss your options with your local dentist or specialist orthodontist. You may quickly find out that there are many different Read more...

See a Smile Solutions orthodontist for a free consultation

Author photo

Smile Solutions

Dentist Melbourne
Melbourne's Home of Dentistry

An orthodontist is the most qualified person to diagnose, prevent and treat any problems you might have with the alignment of your teeth and jaw. In Australia, orthodontists hold a degree in dentistry, a masters degree in orthodontics and must be registered as a specialist orthodontist by the Australian Health and Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). Read more...

I’d like to straighten my teeth, but I’m embarrassed to have braces

Author photo

Smile Solutions

Dentist Melbourne
Melbourne's Home of Dentistry

Patient question: I’d like to straighten my teeth, but I’m embarrassed to have braces as an adult. What do you suggest?  Today people see adults wearing braces as doing something proactive for their oral health. Having straight teeth and a better bite means less wear, cracking or damage of teeth, fewer fillings throughout your life Read more...

What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of conventional braces, lingual braces and Invisalign and which are more cost-effective?

Author photo

Dr Stephanie Tang

Specialist Orthodontist
Orthodontic Care
BDSc (Melb), MOrth (Hong Kong), MOrth (RCS Edin)

Patients often ask me to outline for them the relative advantages and disadvantages of conventional braces, lingual braces and Invisalign and which are more cost-effective? Every appliance works slightly differently, and the best type of treatment must be individually prescribed. What are the advantages/disadvantages of conventional braces? Conventional braces, or “labial” braces (fixed to the “cheek” Read more...

What happens when Invisalign is not an option?

Author photo

Christina Melas

Orthodontic Dental Therapy
Dip.OHT (Melb)

Orthodontics is a highly personalised field of dentistry, with specialist orthodontists effectively being the architects of your new smile. Invisalign can cater for about 90 per cent of people wishing to have their teeth straightened, but the remaining 10 per cent of more complex cases will need another solution. If your particular circumstances rule out Read more...

What options exist today for adults who don’t want braces? And what can I expect to pay?

Author photo

Dr David Austin

Specialist Orthodontist
Orthodontic Care
BDSc (Melb), MDS Orth (Hong Kong), MOrth RCSEdin

Traditionally, orthodontic treatment was only for children and young adults. It typically involved unattractive silver metal brackets and wires. Today, more and more adults want straight teeth but don’t want the self-consciousness that often comes with traditional orthodontic treatment. What options exist today for adults who don’t want braces? Fortunately, orthodontic treatment has progressed, so Read more...